2.21.2012

Fat Tuesday

Fat Tuesday is here! Aaaaand I'm not in New Orleans. :( 

But, as promised, I made a King Cake to share with all of my classmates. I was astonished to find out how many of them had no idea what a King Cake was. The idea of the plastic baby inside completely freaked them out, as well, which when I think about it, is completely understandable. 


The King Cake represents the three wise men that brought gifts to baby Jesus on Christmas Day. Traditionally, anyone that finds the plastic baby inside of the King Cake has to buy the next one. The three different colors also have a significant meaning. Purple represents justice, green symbolizes faith, and gold represents power. 

Cinnamon and sugar are pretty standard when it comes to a King Cake, but you can add any flavored filling that you want. Making it from scratch was a lot harder than I anticipated, but everyone said that it tasted delicious, so it was well worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment